Saturday, 16 April 2016

Conference Paper

As I alluded to in my review of Meir Davis' article 'An Anglo-Jewish Divorce, A.D. 1242' (Review #9) I shall be presenting some of my research, on David of Oxford's (eventually successful) efforts to obtain a divorce his wife Muriel, at a conference in June. The title of the paper is 'On the Margins of Historiography: Bringing a Medieval Divorce Case from the Periphery to the Centre' and that will be delivered at the University of Huddersfield's 'Perspectives on the Past: History, Heritage, and Identity' 20-21 June 2016 (I'm not sure which day my paper will be on yet). This paper, and the research contained therein, really embody my entire approach to medieval Anglo-Jewry in terms of not treating the Christian and Jewish context within which I shall place this case as inseparable and, by extension, considering the English context. I must confess that this approach, which I first began to develop under the tutelage of Robin M was one which he found invigorating and infuriating - though given his roots as a rebellious upstart, I suspect it was more of the former than the latter! If you are interested in the things that I waffle on about on this blog then you could do worse than attend the conference, I'm not sure what other speakers will be speaking about but it promises to be a good conference. As my conference paper this is also a very daunting prospect for me, especially because it isn't clear at the moment whether this will mark the pinnacle of my life in higher education, or whether this will simply be the end of the beginning phase of that career (I'd like to think the latter but it all depends on funding), so if any academics have tips on how to write this paper, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment