Saturday, 26 November 2016

(Jewish) OTD: 26 November

1290

As we have seen in this OTD feature, on 5 November 1290 Edward I had ordered that the archae were to be transported to Westminster. We know that this had been done by 26 November, by virtue of this document from The National Archives. For me this is one of the most important, and neglected, items in TNA’s collection. Indeed, I like it so much that I composed an entire PhD proposal around it (though I’m unlikely to actually to submit it). So each entry records the two Christian chirographers as well as the sheriff who accompanied the archae to Westminster, as well as the particulars of the “Old” and “New” archae which were transported. This is a really important point, for me, but I don’t want to say too much about it because I am currently writing a paper entitled “The archae Revisited” for a peer-reviewed journal which discusses this at length – I’ve set myself a deadline of 28 February 2017 for that so look out for it. From this document it is possible, as I do in my paper, to make a number of important conclusions relating to the scrutinies which were produced once the archae were at Westminster. I’m going to lie, this isn’t the prettiest of documents but, in many ways, it shares many characteristics with the scrutinies, as one would expect, so should be viewed in conjunction with them (and the Westminster Abbey Muniments collection) – as I do.


TNA E 101/249/29 

No comments:

Post a Comment