Monday, 9 January 2017

How I deal with anti-Semites et. al.

I receive quite a lot of anti-Semitic, and other comments, to this blog. I do hope that you haven't come into contact with any of them - I try to delete them ASAP. Additionally, given that I've never made any attempt to hide my e-mail address, I get quite a lot of messages via that medium. I don't believe that it is appropriate to just ignore these messages, however. This is not least because as somebody has reminded me this weekend "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". With that in mind, six months ago, I developed a template that I send as a response wherever I have contact details. I personalise it in various ways in relation to the message, however, I always endeavour to be courteous - the recipients seem to find that exponentially more offensive. Until Saturday 7 January 2017, the only people who had ever seen the message were the recipients. On Saturday, I sent my first of the year and thought I'd upload the message to Twitter to see whether anybody had another approach which was effective. I didn't expect what I got, however. The Tweet received more than 100 likes, more than 50 retweets and a whole host of personal messages to me. This revived my faith in humanity and I thought I'd upload it here for posterity, for those not on Twitter and so that you could see how I deal with such messages in order to keep this a safe space. (p.s. I am now aware of the error in the first sentence and have corrected it for future recipients). If you have any suggestions of other effective methods, or other comments, then as always feel free to leave them at the bottom of this page, or contact me directly via: Twitter (@medievaljews), the Facebook group or e-mail (deanantonyirwin@outlook.com).


No comments:

Post a Comment